RE:DATA COLLECTION,MANAGEMENT,ANALYSIS AND MAPPING USING ODK,STATA AND QGIS.
Tech For Development -T4D would like to invite you to a high impact Training Course in Data Collection,Management,Analysis and Mapping Using ODK,Stata And QGIS. to be held in Nairobi, Kenya from 11th to 22th Nov,2019
Course Name:Data Collection,Management,Analysis and Mapping Using ODK,Stata And QGIS.
Venue: Tech for Development Training Center, Nairobi, Kenya
Event Date: 11th to 22th Nov,2019
Course Fee: KES 220,000 OR USD 2,200
Online Registration: Register here
Open data kit, commonly referred to as ODK is a set of popular free and open source tools that allow us to collect data using mobile devices. Being a pioneer tool of its nature, ODK is one of the most popular mobile data collection tools. The fact that ODK is free and open source also makes it a darling to users considering the budget constraints that come with projects. Other reasons for its popularity include but not limited to: Allows offline data collection, has an active online community and support base, ability to collect rich data (photos, audio, video, signature etc), ability to collect location data (points, traces and polygon), allows collaboration and data sharing, enables data aggregation, management and visualization on cloud platforms amongst others.
From simple to complex datasets, STATA makes it easy for analysts to maximize the use of their data. Other than quantitative data analyses, STATA can be used for exploring and analyzing geo-tagged datasets. The Graphical User Interface (GUI) of STATA is user-friendly for beginners, and those not familiar with commands.
On the other hand, STATA commands are simple and easy to grasp. You can use STATA for analyzing socio-economic datasets, experimental datasets, and medical survey datasets among others.
A Geographic Information System is a multi-component environment used to create, manage, visualize and analyze data and its spatial counterpart. Most datasets you will encounter in your lifetime can all be assigned a spatial location whether on the earth’s surface or within some arbitrary coordinate system (such as a soccer field or a gridded petri dish). So, in essence, any dataset can be represented in a GIS.
QGIS is a very capable open source (free) GIS software. It encompasses most of the functionality included in ArcGIS. If you are looking for a free, open source and easy to use GIS software QGIS is a wonderful choice given its multi-platform support.
Why this course
Data collection, management, analyses and mapping has always been a bully for many people, either because of their divergent academic background from research/statistics/GIS and/or mathematics, or because they have not been introduced well to understanding data and analyzing it for information purposes. Whether you are a researcher or a member of project management team, evidence-based decision making is becoming a mandatory tool in organizations and for prioritizing development needs. Facts must be presented in figures and qualitative values in order to justify them for decision purposes. Based on these needs, the course has been specifically designed to help participants understand data collection, organization, management, basic data analyses in STATA and mapping in QGIS. Participants will also learn useful statistical concepts for data analyses procedures and results interpretation.
Who should attend
Any person willing to learn mobile data collection using ODK, data management and analysis using STATA and mapping using QGIS to improve their general knowledge on data collection, management, analyses and mapping for academic research, organizational data, or wanting to switch to new technologies for data processing has the right footing to this course. You do not have to be a researcher, statistician, an academician or have prior knowledge in GIS in order to attend.
Participants are advised to bring a PC laptop with Windows XP Service Pack 3 or later with at least 2GB of RAM. You should also ensure that the laptop is installed with a genuine antivirus and is well updated.
If your computer is password protected please ensure that you have the administrator password for the purpose of installing software during the training.
ODK (Mobile Data Collection)
Digitizing your questionnaire
• Introduction to basic XLSForm syntax for survey authoring
• Getting started – Survey authoring using XLSForm syntax
• Types of questions
• Data types for each question and form logic
• Intermediate survey authoring
• Advanced survey authoring
• Form Validation and Conversion for ODK Aggregate
• Troubleshooting common syntax errors
Device calibration (Mobile Phones/Tablets) – ODK Collect
• Introduction to ODK Collect
• ODK Collect installation and configuration
• Uploading forms into ODK Collect manually
• Downloading form into ODK Collect from ODK Aggregate server
Hosting survey data (Online) – ODK Aggregate
• Introduction to Google app engine/Digital Ocean/AWS for ODK
• Introduction to ODK Aggregate
• ODK Aggregate – Download and setup
• ODK Aggregate administration and calibration
• Data analysis in ODK aggregate
Downloading data for analysis
• Downloading data from ODK Aggregate
• Introduction to ODK Briefcase
• Download and setup ODK Briefcase
ODK Briefcase calibration and administration
Stata (Data Management and analysis)
• Introduction to Data Management, Surveys and Experimental Designs
• Data Collection Techniques
• Introduction to STATA datasets, Edit, Browse, List, Generating Variables, Codebook, Use written programs) Data Management in STATA (Import, Data Labelling, Handling Duplicates, Missing Values, Reshape, Append, Merge, Collapse, Data Transformation, Creating Dummy Variables)
• Data Exploration (Simple tables, cross tabulation with measures of association, Measures of Central Tendency, Outliers, Quartiles, Percentiles, Skewness, Kurtosis, Variance, Standard Deviation, Standard Errors, Ladder/Gladder)
• Data Graphing (Pie charts, bar graphs, histograms, scatter plots, line graphs, panel graphs, QQ plots, matrix plots, survival curves, etc.)
• Advanced Analyses (Normality tests, variance tests, t-tests, One-way & Two-way ANOVA, MANOVA, ANCOVA, OLS Regression, Logistic/Binomial Regression, Factor Analyses/PCA, GLM, Cox Regression, Other Regression Models)
Introduction, cartography and GIS, and creating maps in QGIS
• Basic conceptual understanding of cartography, GIS, and mapping
• Gain familiarity with geographic data and information, and how it's encoded within computer files
• Gain a basic familiarity with the QGIS interface
• Gain awareness of spatial reference and projection issues
• Practice opening a variety of geographic data with QGIS and viewing their attributes within QGIS
• Perform basic map styling
• Create and export a basic map as a static image file
Thematic data mapping, Geocoding and point in polygon analysis
• Load shape files and CSV data into QGIS
• Data transformation
• Create classed choropleth map
• Adjust the legend to help the map tell a clearer story
• Load tabular CSV data into QGIS and performing a tabular join
• Obtaining and working with US Census data
• Understand and perform geocoding of tabular data
• Learn about some of the geocoding tools available online
• Understand and perform a point in polygon analysis
Heat maps, creating and editing vector Geometries
• Map point data
• Create a 'heat map' representation of the data
• Digitizing data
• Digitizing data with Open Street Map in QGIS
• Introduction to Open Street Map
• Importing OpenStreetMap data
• Importing OpenStreetMap data: SpatialLite Database
• Data filtering and extraction
• Exporting layers to a local CRS
• Introduction to Geoprocessing
• Geoprocessing with a buffer analysis
• Extracting and preparing thematic OSM data
• Filtering OSM data to create desired features
• Managing CRSs in a Geoprocessing Workflow
• Extracting attribute types of interest
• Creating a buffer around a Polyline feature
• Clipping features within a buffer
• Geoprocessing functions
• Using the Graphical Processing Modeler to automate workflows
Expected Training Outcomes
By the end of this training course participants will have learnt:
1. How to develop, manage and administer and implement a mobile data collection platform using ODK.
2. The core statistical concepts, clearly demonstrate data management and analyses skills in STATA.
3. How to develop maps and perform geographical data analysis in QGIS
Visit our website for more details.
This training course can also be tailored for your organization. This way, your organization will benefit by:
• Using own datasets and tools during the training.
• Being able to choose areas of interest you wish the trainer to put more emphasis on.
• Taking the course in-house or at a venue of choice.
• Cutting on the cost of transport and accommodation.
Kindly visit this link to see video and photo testimonials of our previous training events.
Need more information? Kindly visit this link to see answers to frequently asked questions.
How to participate
Register as individual.
Email: [Email removed]
Tel: +[Number removed]
Customer Relationship Officer,
Tech For Development
Innovation for impact
START DATE / TIMEMon, Nov 11, 2019
Daily / 08:00 am - 05:00 pm
END DATEFri, Nov 22, 2019
Web / Social104834-00101
Venue / Address
T4D Training Center Westlands Road, 104834-00101 Nairobi Area