Course Name: Mobile Data Collection For M&E Using ODK and KoBoToolbox
Venue: Tech for Development Training Center, Nairobi, Kenya
Event Date: 2nd to 6th Dec,2019
Course Fee: KES 75,000 OR USD 1,100
Online Registration: Register here
Mobile Data Collection for M&E using ODK and KoBoToolbox
ODK or Open Data Kit is a set of free and open source tools that are used for field data collection using android mobile phones (Devices)and allows data submission to an online or cloud server. The ODK – Open Data Kit ecosystem includes the following components: ODK Collect, ODK Build, XLSForm, ODK Aggregate, ODK Manage as the major components. Other tools in the ODK ecosystem include ODK Briefcase, ODK Aggregate VM, ODK XLSForm Converter, ODK Validate, GEOODK, ODK Scanner, ODK Printers and the ODK Sensor Framework.
The other tools that were inspired by the ODK ecosystem include but not limited to: Kobo tool box which is also free and open source, Ona.io and Survey CTO which have a free trial period and a premium version with added functionalities and unlimited survey data storage capacity.
Other commonly used mobile data collection tools include CSPro for android (CS Entry), Magpi (Regular data collection and also supports SMS data Collection), fulcrum, mobenzi, visitbasis, dimagi, zapier amongst many others.
This training course will focus on the popularly used free and open source tools for mobile data collection but will also give a mention to the other mobile data collection tools available.
If you have always wanted to learn how to collect, manage, visualize and analyze project field data using mobile phones and devices, this training course is for you.
Data collection and monitoring and evaluation (M&E) have always been an integral part of development work. In the past, these tasks were performed with paper and pen, which made them prone to error, difficult to conduct on a large scale, and high in transaction costs.
ICT tools such as mobile devices and software that allows users to create surveys, collect, manage and upload data to storage facilities in real-time, have reduced the conventional challenges associated with remote data collection and M&E.
If you have always wanted to learn how to collect, manage and analyze project data using mobile devices, this training course is for you. This training course also comes with additional M&E and GIS modules to help participants put the skills acquired into perspective. The GIS module will help participants work with spatial data.
Who should attend
The course is designed for representatives from government, project teams, NGOs, multi and bilateral development organizations, consultancies, etc, that are typically employed as project managers and directors, M&E specialists, technical specialists, and researchers.
This training is designed for participants who are reasonably proficient in English and have an understanding of basic ICT concepts.
The course will introduce participants to tools and techniques to gather data for project/programme outcomes to stakeholders using innovative Mobile data gathering tools.
At the end of the course, you will become familiar with using ICT tools and methods to conduct data collection, statistical analysis, and reporting.
Introduction to the course
• M&E Refresher
• ICT refresher
• Introduction to mobile data collection systems architecture.
• Introduction to common mobile based data collection tools, techniques and platform.
• Benefits of mobile data collection.
• Challenges of Mobile Based Data Collection.
• Best Practices.
Introduction to Survey Authoring/Digitization
• Introduction to xlsforms syntax for survey authoring - Digitizing questionnaires for ODK using xlsforms.
Intermediate Survey Authoring/Digitization
• Intermediate survey authoring: Digitizing questionnaires for ODK using xlsforms.
Advanced Survey Authoring/Digitization
• Advanced survey authoring: Digitizing questionnaires for ODK using xlsforms.
• Questionnaire logic.
• Xlsforms troubleshooting
• Converting xlsforms to XML
• XML forms validation
Survey Data Hosting
• Setting up an Apps Engine Account
• Setting up ODK aggregate server in a cloud server.
• Setting up ODK Collect for Mobile data collection.
• Uploading XML forms to ODK Aggregate
• Hosting platform quota management.
• Data Visualization and analysis on ODK Aggregate.
• Downloading/extracting data from ODK Aggregate for analysis.
• Mobile device calibration for data collection.
• Managing data collection in the field
Mobile Data Collection Using KoBoToolbox
• How to digitize questionnaires using an easy web-based interface.
• Hosting data on KoBoToolbox.
• Setting up KoBo Collect for mobile data collection.
• Mobile device calibration for data collection.
• Visualizing and analyzing data on KoBoToolbox.
• Downloading/extracting data for analysis.
Module V (GIS)
• Introduction to GIS
• Working with Spatial data (GPS Coordinates)
• Introduction to Fusion Table
• Exporting GPS Coordinates (Google maps) to Fusion tables
• Exporting data to Fusion tables using QGIS
• Converting data to shape files
• Choice of Platform
• Discussion on the Choice of Platform
• Integrating Mobile Data Collection tools into projects
Visit our website for more details.
This training course can also be tailored for your organization. This way, your organization will benefit by:
• Using own datasets and tools during the training.
• Being able to choose areas of interest you wish the trainer to put more emphasis on.
• Taking the course in-house or at a venue of choice.
• Cutting on the cost of transport and accommodation.
Kindly visit this link to see video and photo testimonials of our previous training events.
Need more information? Kindly visit this link to see answers to frequently asked questions.
How to participate
Register as individual.
Email: [Email removed]
Tel: +[Number removed]
Customer Relationship Officer,
Tech For Development
Innovation for impact